This Easy Sushi Bake is a great way to get your sushi fixing but at a fraction of the cost. It is completely customizable and can be made in advance before serving. Pair this recipe with all of your favorite sushi fixings and you’re in for a delicious meal!
The sushi bake has taken the internet by storm. I’m not entirely too sure where it first started, but after seeing it all over Tik Tok and Instagram, I had to jump on the trend.
This Easy Sushi Bake recipe is essentially a California roll deconstructed. This is the perfect recipe for those who aren’t super adventurous when it comes to sushi but can be customized to get that sushi fix for all my sushi lovers.
What I also love about this recipe is that it can be made in advance. I have recently been making it for friends and family, and all they have to do is pop it in the oven or air fryer. garnish it, and then serve. So it would make a great gift for someone who might not have the time to cook or needs to get a meal on the table with minimal effort.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE EASY SUSHI BAKE:
- Sushi rice or a short grain rice
- Imitation crab meat and lump crab meat
- Japanese mayo
- Cream cheese
- Green onions
- Kosher salt
- Unagi Sauce (eel sauce)
- Furikake (rice seasoning)
HELPFUL TIPS AND TRICKS TO GET THE BEST EASY SUSHI BAKE:
- If you can’t find sushi rice, look for a short grained rice. They tend to be starchier and will give you the familiar sushi rice texture.
- You can do a combination of imitation crab meat and lump crab meat or you can do all imitation or all lump. You can also use other seafood like canned salmon or tuna.
- Customize this recipe to your liking. If you want it spicier, add more sriracha. Do you want it creamier? Add more cream cheese. Play around with it and see what you like!
- The masago is optional but it does add a nice texture to the sushi bake. I find mine at my local Asian market near the seafood.
- After the easy sushi baked is cooked, let it sit for 10 minutes so everything sets. If you dig right in, the rice and everything will fall apart.
- You can serve it as is, but I like mine with nori sheets, sliced cucumbers and avocado slices. I feel like this gives you the full California roll experience.
I hope you enjoy this Easy Sushi Bake as much as I do. If you make it, please tag me on Instagram so I can see your recreation!
Easy Sushi Bake (Air Fryer and Oven Options)
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice
- ¼ - ½ cup furikake seasoning
- 3 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup basic mayo or Japanese mayo
- 2-4 tbsp sriracha
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 green onion finely sliced (more for garnish)
- 1 ½ cup chopped imitation crab meat
- 1 cup lump crab meat
- ¼ cup masago plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup unagi sauce
- nori sheets
- julienned cucumbers
- sliced avocado
Press sushi rice into an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish or a dish that will fit your air fryer. Top the rice with furikake seasoning and set aside.
In a large bowl, add in the cream cheese, mayo, sriracha, sugar, and kosher salt. Mix until combined.
Next add in the green onions and mix until well combined.
Add the imitation crab meat, lump crab meat, and masago into the bowl. Gently fold into the cream cheese mixture until everything is coated.
Spread the crab mixture on top of the rice making sure it's an even layer. (see note if not baking right away)
Air fryer method: place dish into air fryer and air fry for 15 minutes at 375F or until the top is browned.
Oven method: place baking dish in a preheated 375 oven for 25 minutes or until the top is browned.
Once sushi bake is done, top with unagi sauce, and garnish with green onion slices and masago.
Serve with nori sheets, cucumbers, and avocado slices.
If you're not baking the sushi bake right away, top the rice with the crab mixture, cover the baking dish and refrigerate until ready. Baking time might be longer if not baking right away.
Some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you use my links to purchase a product, I will receive a small commission, but it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you for your support!