Warm, comforting, and simply delicious are a few ways to describe this Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup. This is a quick and easy take on the classic Chinese soup you find at your favorite spot.
I don’t know why, but I always thought some of my favorite soups from my favorite Chinese restaurants were super complicated to make. Turns out, some are really easy which means I can have my favorite soups any time I want.
Growing up, I loved the Chinese corn soup and then when I was introduced to it with chicken, it was a total game changer! This Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup comes together in less than 30 minutes using ingredients that are easily accessible.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE CHINESE CHICKEN AND CORN SOUP:
- Canned sweet corn (you can use frozen if you want)
- Chicken broth or vegetable broth if you want to make this vegetarian
- Cooked shredded chicken or sliced firm tofu
- Cornstarch or tapioca flour
- Light soy sauce or tarmari or coconut aminos to keep it gluten free
- Kosher salt and ground white pepper
- Sliced green onions
HELPFUL TIPS AND TRICKS TO GET THE BEST CHINESE CHICKEN AND CORN SOUP:
- If you’re not using homemade chicken or vegetable broth buy low sodium broth instead. You want to be able to control how much salt and flavoring goes into your soup.
- I like making my own creamed corn but you can buy a can of creamed corn if you don’t want to do that extra step. I like making my own because I have control of the ingredients.
- If you want to make this vegan, you can use an egg replacement or use silken tofu instead of the firm tofu to get a similar texture to the eggs.
- Seasoning the soup is up to you! Taste and season it to your preference. I like mine on the peppery side so I use a little more ground white pepper and crack fresh black peppercorns on top before eating.
I hope you enjoy this simple take on a Chinese classic! If you make this Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup, be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see.
Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup (Gluten Free Options)
- 2 cans (15.25 oz) sweet corn
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken or sliced firm tofu
- 3 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 eggs whisked
- ½ tbsp light soy sauce or tamari or coconut aminos (more to taste)
- 1 tsp kosher salt more to taste
- ½ tsp white ground pepper more to taste
- sliced green onions
Add one can of sweet corn (with the liquid) into a stock pot with 1 cup of the chicken broth.
Use an immersion blender and cream the corn until the corn is no longer kernels. (If you don’t have an immersion blender you can do this in a food processor or blender).
Add the rest of the chicken broth and canned corn to the stock pot and bring to a boil.
When the soup is boiling, bring it down to a simmer by lowering the heat. Stir in the shredded chicken.
In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water and then stir it into the soup until well combined.
Next, drizzle in the whisked eggs while stirring the soup. This will give you ribbons of egg throughout the soup.
Season the soup with light soy sauce, kosher salt, and ground white pepper. Taste and adjust to preference.
Garnish soup with sliced green onions and serve.
Some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you use my links to purchase a product, I will receive a small commission, but it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you for your support!