This Spam Fried Rice is the perfect dish for those days you need a quick and easy dish to throw together. This fried comes together in less than 30 minutes and can be totally customized to your liking. This Spam Fried Rice is also perfect for a weekly meal prep.
My love for spam runs deep; however, funny enough, I did not have spam until I first went to Hawaii during spring break of my senior year in college. I was introduced to spam musubi and that was the start of my love for spam.
Spam gets a bad rep but it truly is a delicious and versatile protein that can be used in many dishes. It is not something I eat on a regular basis, but when I do have it, it is such a treat!
Since my musubi skills are lacking, I decided to use it in my fried rice when I do not feel like taking the time to cook some protein. Spam already comes cook for it cuts down on cooking time when it comes to this spam fried rice!
This spam fried rice is such a simple but delicious dish. It is packed with flavor and can be made to your very own liking. It literally comes together in less than 30 minutes and can be doubled for meal prepping.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE SPAM FRIED RICE:
- Spam (I use the low sodium spam)
- Green onions
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Day old white rice
- Soy sauce
- Dark soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- White or black pepper
HELPFUL TIPS AND TRICKS TO GET THE BEST SPAM FRIED RICE:
- Make sure the spam is diced in equal sizes. This will ensure the spam is evenly heated through and each side gets nice and charry.
- Use a mixed bag of frozen vegetables that you enjoy! I used a mix bag of green beans, peas, carrots, and corn.
- Day old rice works best but if you want this to be low carb you can replace the rice with cauliflower rice.
- Once everything is mixed, let the rice sit in the pan over high heat for a few minutes to get a nice char on the rice and spam.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do! If you make it, please tag me on Instagram so I can see.
Spam Fried Rice (Low Carb Options)
- ½ can low sodium spam diced into small bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp avocado oil more if needed
- 1 green onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- 2 eggs whisked
- 3 cups leftover white rice or 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 ½ tbsp soy sauce or tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper or black pepper more for taste
Preheat skillet over medium high heat.
Add the spam and cook until spam begins to turn golden brown.
Add avocado oil to the skillet then add the green onion and minced garlic. Stir fry until fragrant about 2-3 minutes.
Mix in the frozen mixed vegetables and cook until heated through.
Scoot the spam and vegetables to one side of the pan. Add more oil if needed and then add in the eggs to the once side of the pan without the spam and vegetables.
Let the eggs set for a few seconds and then scramble. When eggs are almost cooked through, mix in with spam and vegetables then scoot to one side of pan.
Add more cooking oil to skillet if needed then add in the rice, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and dark soy sauce.
Mix the rice and then combine with the spam and vegetables.
Once everything is mixed and coated with the sauces, spread the rice out, turn the heat to high and let the rice sit for a few minutes to get charred bits.
Add in the white or black pepper to taste, combine and then serve.