This Benihana Chicken Fried Rice is the perfect copycat recipe if you’re craving hibachi but don’t want to make your way down to a Japanese steakhouse. It’s completely gluten free with paleo and keto options as well!
Here we are again with another Benihana copycat recipe! This time it’s their famous chicken fried rice that really brings the whole hibachi experience together.
There are so many reasons why I love the Benihana chicken fried rice, but one particular reason is that they DON’T use peas in it. If you know me, you know peas are on the shortlist of foods I just cannot get behind. Probably because I was traumatized by the boiled peas served at school lunches. *shudders*
Anyway, this copycat chicken fried rice is super easy to make and will probably be the reason why you stop going to Benihana. Yeah, I said it and I’m not sorry!
I think another reason why it’s so great is because of the garlic butter. The garlic butter is also used in their hibachi entrees like my hibachi steak & shrimp. It adds a nice buttery umami flavor to the dish but isn’t overpowering. It gives it that extra umph and has people asking “what’s in this that’s making it so delicious?!”
Here are a few things to ensure you get the best Benihana Chicken Fried Rice:
- You have to use cold leftover cooked white rice. Fresh rice will get mushy and gross. So make extra rice one night so you can make this for dinner the next day!
- For my low carb/paleo/keto people, yes you can use cauliflower rice or any other white rice replacement. You may have to cook it a bit longer to ensure the liquids are absorbed.
- You can also make this vegan/vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using vegan butter in the garlic butter.
- I didn’t add measurements for the kosher salt and ground black pepper because this is a season as you go recipe. Adjust it to your taste preference. I always like my fried rice a little more peppery so I go heavy with the ground black pepper.
- This recipe can be served as a full meal for two people or as a side with a main dish like the my hibachi steak & shrimp for four people.
I hope you enjoy this copycat Benihana Chicken Fried Rice as much as I do! If you decide to do hibachi at home, be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see!
Benihana Chicken Fried Rice (Paleo, Keto, Gluten Free)
This Benihana Chicken Fried Rice is the perfect copycat recipe if you're craving hibachi but don't want to make your way to Benihana. It has also been made into a completely gluten free recipe with paleo and keto options.
- ½ lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp avocado oil plus more
- 2 tbsp garlic butter plus more
- ½ large onion diced
- ¼ cup carrots diced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 cups leftover cooked white rice or 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and season with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
Preheat a wok or skillet over medium heat with avocado oil.
Once heated, add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. When chicken is cooked, add in the garlic butter, stir to coat, and then remove from skillet.
In the same skillet, add the onions, carrots, and green onions. Saute for 4-5 minutes (be sure to scrape any bits and pieces left from the chicken) or until vegetables are fragrant and have soften. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Wipe the skillet, add about ½ tbsp of avocado oil, and then the eggs. Season the eggs with a pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper.
Scramble the eggs for a few minutes and then add in the rice, coconut aminos, sesame seeds, chicken, and vegetables.
Cook until the rice is heated through and browned. Optional: add about 1-2 tbsp of garlic butter to the rice and stir until well combined.
Serve and enjoy!