Soup season is upon us and what better way to celebrate than with this Spicy Potato Soup that will heat things up –figuratively and literally. It’s great as a side dish or you can turn it into a full blown meal by adding protein and other elements.
This post is in partnership with Bare Bones.
I know soup is typically eaten during the colder months of the year, but I am definitely one of those people who can have it anytime of the year. If the craving strikes, I’m having me some soup!
One of my favorite soups of all time is loaded baked potato soup, and I wanted to created something inspired by it.
We all know I love spicy. So I figured why not create a spicy version of the loaded baked potato soup, and thus was born this Spicy Potato Soup!
This soup is creamy and packed with flavor thanks to Bare Bones Organic Chicken Broth. Having Bare Bones Broth in my pantry makes it super easy to make soup whenever I want. I’d be lying if I said I usually prefer to make my own bone broth, but I don’t.
Bare Bones Organic Chicken Broth is seriously the closest to being homemade. So you better believe it’s always a pantry staple!
Now onto this Spicy Potato Soup. You’re probably wondering how I got it creamy without any dairy, and it’s all about the technique. Here are a few key things:
- I know it’s called Spicy Potato Soup, but there’s cauliflower in this recipe and it actually helps make the soup super creamy.
- Another key element to getting creamy soup without dairy is to only blend a little more than half the soup. When you add the other half back into the blend soup and mix it, you’ll have some chunks but since the veggies are so tender they’ll gently blend in as well.
- And of course arrowroot flour. The more you use, the thicker the soup. You can also use tapioca starch/flour if you can’t find arrowroot flour.
Spicy Potato Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
- 1 tbsp bacon fat or any cooking fat
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt more for taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper more for taste
- 1 lb Yukon potatoes cubed
- ½ cauliflower head cut into florets
- 4 cups Bare Bones Organic Chicken Bone Broth
- 3 tbsp hot sauce (more or less depending on spice preference)
- 2 tsp arrowroot flour
- 2 tsp water
- crumbled bacon
- green chives sliced
Set Instant Pot to saute mode and then add bacon fat.
Once heated, add in the onion, carrots, and celery stalk. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
When onions have softened, add in the garlic cloves, smoked paprika, kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Mix and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Turn Instant Pot off of saute mode then add in potatoes, cauliflower florets, and Bare Bones Chicken Bone Broth. Mix until well combined.
Close the lid of the Instant Pot, set it to soup/stew and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Once the time is up, let it naturally release for 10 minutes before opening the lid.
Next scoop out half the soup and set aside.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it’s nice and creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blend.
Add the remaining half of the soup back into the Instant Pot.
Mix the arrowroot flour and water together and add to the soup. Stir until well combined.
Finally stir in hot sauce and serve with crumbled bacon and green chives.
If you don't have an Instant Pot:
- Preheat a stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Add in the bacon fat.
- Then add in the onion, carrots, celery stalks. Saute until carrots and celery have soften and onions are translucent.
- When onions have softened, add in the garlic cloves, smoked paprika, kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Mix and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, cauliflower florets, and Bare Bones Organic Chicken Bone Broth. Mix until well combined.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low, cover the stock pot and simmer the soup for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes and cauliflower are fork tender.
- Follow steps 6-10 from above.
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
Spicy Butternut Squash & Carrot Soup
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Beef Chili